|Snippets of Information |
Architecture / Sculptures / Statues
* 20 Aug 2022
Harishchandragad is an ancient hill fort in the Ahmednagar
district situated in the Malshej Ghat, an altitude of 4,670 ft. with its
origin in the 6th century during the rule of the Kalchuri dynasty. The
caves on top are probably carved out in the 11th century. The various
constructions on the fort and those in the surrounding region indicate
the existence of diverse cultures. Saptatheertha Pushkarni, Kedareshwar
cave, Harishchandra temple and other caves are the examples for that.
Taramati or Taramanchi peak is the top most point on the fort.
Kokan Kada - sheer cliff faces west and looks down upon the Konkan.
Source: indiahikes.com ; wikipedia.org
* 10 Apr 2022
Hill Forts of Rajasthan
The serial site, situated in the state of Rajastahan, includes six majestic forts in Chittorgarh; Kumbhalgarh; Sawai Madhopur; Jhalawar; Jaipur, and Jaisalmer
designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. The six extensive and majestic
hill forts together reflect the elaborate, fortified seats of power of
Rajput princely states that flourished between the 8th and 18th
centuries and their relative political independence.
Within the defensive walls of the forts, the architecture of palaces and
other buildings reflects their role as centres of courtly culture, and
places of patronage for learning arts and music. As well as housing for
the court and military guard, most had extensive urban settlements
within their walls, some of which have persisted to the present day.
Collectively the forts contain extensive water harvesting structures,
many of which are still in use.
* 6 Jul 2022
Chittorgarh Fort, a symbol of Rajput chivalry, resistance and bravery is located on a 180m high hill near the Gambheri River
in Chittorgarh at a distance of 112 kms from the city of Udaipur,
Rajasthan. This fort was built by various Maurya rulers in the 7th
century covering an area of 700 acres, extending to 3 kms in length and
13 kms in peripheral length.
Chittorgarh or Chittor was the capital
of the Gahlot and Sisodia clans
of Rajput and of Mewar. The Fort was named after Chitrangad Mori of the
Maurya dynasty who is said to have laid its foundation. The fort came
into the possession of Bappa Rawal, who established the Mewar dynasty,
in the mid 8th century.
There were 3 major attacks on the Fort
In 1303 by Allaudin Khilji to fulfill his desire to make off with Rani Padmini.
In 1535 by Sultan Bahadur Shah of Gujarat
In 1567 by Mughal Emperor Akbar to conquer Maharana Udai Singh.
Every time, a jauhar (mass suicide) was observed by the womenfolk and
children of royalty who never allowed themselves to be captured.
There are seven huge gates (Pols) strengthened by strong iron spikes that served as a watch towers.
Ram Pol the gate of Lord Rama. Near the Ram Pol, is the Chattri of 15 year old Patta of Kelwa who fought bravely to the end.
Padal Pol - Two cenotaphs dedicated to
Jaimal and Kala, who were killed by Akbar in the battle of 1567. There
is a memorial erected in the memory of Rawat Bagh Singh who along with
King Vikramaditya fought against Sultan Bahadur Shah.
Bhairon Pol - in memory of Bhairondas Solanki,
who also fought against Sultan Bahadur Shah in 1534
Ganesh Pol, Jorla
Pol, Lakshman Pol and Hanuman Pol.
Within the fort, there are several structures such as palaces, cenotaphs, temples and towers.
The Rana Kumbha Palace, the Fateh Prakash Palace, Rani Padmini's Palace and the Vijay Stambh (Tower of Victory), a huge complex of Jain temples.
Vijay Stambh (the Tower of Victory) is a huge nine storey tower which was built by Maharana
Kumbha to commemorate his victory over the Muslim rulers of Malwa and
Gujarat in 1440. The tower is 122 ft high and stands on a 10 ft high
base. There are sculptures and carvings on the exterior walls of the
tower. The tower is visible from any section of the town below. And from
the tower top after climbing 157 steps, there is a great view of the
surroundings. The inside walls of the tower are carved with images of
Gods, weapons, etc.
Kirti Stambh (the Tower of Fame) is dedicated to Adinathji, the first of the Jain
Thirthakaras. It was built by a merchant and is decorated with figures
form the Jain pantheon.
Rana Kumbha's Palace is near the Vijay Stambh. This is the
birthplace of Maharana Udai Singh the founder of Udaipur. His life was
saved by the heroic act of the maid Panna Dhay, who replaced her son in
place of the prince & consequently her son was killed by Banbir. She
carried the prince away to safety in a fruit basket. Rani Meera Bai
also lived in this palace. This is the place where Rani Padmini
committed jauhar with the other ladies in one of the underground
Rani Padmini's Palace is the palace from which Alauddin was allowed to watch a reflection of the Rani (wife
of 14th century monarch Maharawal Ratan Singh). The original palace was
reconstructed in the same plan by Maharana Sajjan Singh in 1880.
Near the Fateh Prakash Palace, is the newly-restored government museum
that has an extensive collection of weapons, royal paintings, medieval
sculptures, a model of the fort, and magnificent recreation of the royal
durbar of Mewar kings.
Chittorgarh fort, along with other hill forts of Rajasthan was declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2013.
Sources: udaipur.org.uk ; culturalindia.net ; indian-heritage.org ; tripsavvy.com
* 4 May 2022
Jaisalmer Fort also known as Sonar Quila (Sone Ka Quila) or the
Golden Fort was built in 1156 AD by the Rajput ruler Rawal Jaisal on the
Trikuta Hill and has survived several attacks by the Muslim rulers like
Ala-Uddin-Khilji and Mughal Emperor Humayun.
It is 1,500 ft (460 m) long and 750 ft (230 m) wide and the basement of
the fort has a 15 ft (4.6 m) tall wall forming a double line of defense
in Islamic and Rajput architectural style. The bastions of the fort form
a chain about 30 ft (9.1 m). There are four entrances - Ganesh
Pol, Rang Pol, Bhoota Pol and Hava Pol.
Attractions - Maharawals located in front of the Chauhata Square with
the Maharawal’s marble throne which is placed over a flight of marble
steps, a five-storied Tazia tower constructed by Muslim craftsmen with
decorative Bengali styled roofs, Jawahar Palace, Raj Mahal, The Jain and
the Laxmikanth Temples, several Havelis with decorated windows,
archways, doors, and balconies.
It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the group Hill Forts of Rajasthan.
* 4 May 2022
Amber Fort also popularly known as the Amer Palace, overlooking
the overlooks Maota Lake is located in Amer town, 11 km from Jaipur
fort. It is an old fort, built in 1592 by Raja Man Singh. A perfect
example of Rajasthani architecture, it has influences of both Hindu and
It is an extensive palace complex built with pale yellow and pink
sandstone, and with white marble. The fort is divided into four main
sections that are graced with their own courtyards. There are two
entrances Suraj Pol and Chand Pol. Both these gates open into the Jaleb
Chowk, which is the main courtyard, where in earlier times, returning
armies used to display their plunder to the people. The fort has a
number of sections, including the King’s quarters, the zenana (women's
quarters), gardens, temples, Diwan-e-aam, Sukh Mahal, and the Sheesh
Mahal. Amer Fort is also home to some underground tunnels that connect
Amer to Jaigarh Fort. A part of these tunnels have been restored, and is
now open to public as well. This fort also has the 'Shila Devi' temple
and the 'Ganesh Pol' which is a gate that leads to the private palaces
of the kings.
It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Source: tourism.rajasthan.gov.in ; jaipur.org.uk
* 15 Apr 2022
Chitradurga Fort is locally known as Elusuttina Kote
(meaning the fort of seven circles) is located 200 kms from Bengaluru
and is one of the country’s strongest hill forts. The fort is originally
said to have had 19 gateways, 38 postern-gates, 35 secret entrances and
4 ‘invisible’ entrances. Many of these have gone out of existence now.
The doors were made of strong and thick wooden beams fastened with iron
plates. The soaring ramparts were designed so that each line of
fortification overlooks others below. Zigzagging pathways slowed down
enemy soldiers and prevented the use of battering rams. The doors of the
main gateways were, in addition, bristling with iron spikes to ward off
Chitradurga fort is famed for its sophisticated water harvesting system.
Interconnected reservoirs collected and stored rainwater, which
overflew from each tank flowing into other tanks below it. Such an
effective system ensured that the fort never ran out of water. After
filling all these tanks, the water used to flow to the moats round the
Temples in Chitradurga Fort: The fort has numerous temples like the
Sampige Siddheshwara, Hidimbeshwara, Ekanathamma, Phalguneshvara,
Gopalakrishna, Anjaneya, Subbaraya and Basava. A big piece of bone has
been kept in the Hidimbeshwara Temple and is shown as the tooth of the
demon Hidambasura, and a cylinder of iron plates, six feet high and ten
feet in circumference, as the bheri or kettle-drum of Bhima. A figure of
Hidambasura is sculptured on the Vimana. In the Siddheshwara Temple
also is kept a piece of bone much larger than that kept in the
Hidimbeshvara temple, which also is believed to be as the tooth of
Onake Obavva Kindi: A must-see in this fort is the Onake Obavvana Kindi,
named after a brave woman Obavva. It is connected with the famous
attack of Haidar Ali on Chitradurga. Haidar’s forces were unable to
enter into the fort, in spite of a long siege. They soon found a small
crevice through which they could get into the fort. It was a very narrow
crevice, hardly admitting a human being in a kneeling position. Obavva
hid there and saw the enemy trying to get inside. Displaying remarkable
courage, she grabbed onake (a pestle) and killed each soldier getting